Celebrating 46 years
Greetings from the Headmaster
First, let me thank this past school year’s Windsor parents for making my first year at Windsor Academy a truly remarkable one. From day one, all of you have made me feel welcomed as a member of the Knight family. I am still humbled that God sent me to such a great group of students, teachers, and families; and without question the finest group of dedicated individuals who make up the Windsor Board of Directors that I could have ever asked for. And secondly, if you are a parent looking for a great school for your child, let me invite you to come and talk with us about your child(ren) becoming a part of the 2017-2018 student body at Windsor Academy.
And here’s why Windsor works for students and parents. We have achieved a lot in such a short time, some of which you know about, while other changes went on behind the scenes:
- The High School/Gym/Cafeteria building got a completely new roof and gutter system over Christmas Break, and the gym floor is being completely refurbished, including new logos,
- The entire building facility had a new HD security camera system installed, with more cameras scheduled for installation during summer break,
- The whole Windsor Academy property was re-keyed to a master key system, which also added to providing a safer learning environment for your child(ren),
- The main computer lab and each teacher was upgraded with a brand new energy-efficient DELL laptop,
- WiFi was made available throughout the 3 buildings that make up Windsor Academy’s instructional campus,
- Required writing in grades 5-12 became a cornerstone of a more rigorous curriculum, with teachers providing more effective instruction,
- Windsor now has its own server, housed on campus, that will allow teachers to create student folders for their classes, house shareable instructional materials, and it will enhance the overall technology of the school,
- The school enrollment grew from 232 at the end of May 2016 to 253 by school’s end this May,
- FACTS tuition collection services helped families stay up-to-date with tuition payments.
My personal goal has been to make each child feel welcomed, valued, and appreciated not just as a student, but also as a human being, at Windsor Academy. I think it means more to Coach Watts and me to be out front to greet everyone each morning than it does to the students. But, hopefully, it gives you some peace of mind that supervision is present to insure that your child makes it safely into the building.
Planning for the 2017-2018 school year began as far back as December for what we hope will become an even more significant year for your child, and for our school as a whole. Tuesday, August 15 from 6:00-8:00 will be our beginning-of-the-year OPEN HOUSE, at which time students 5th-12th can pick up their class schedules. Thursday, August 17 will be the students first day of the new school year. Students will be required to be in full compliance with the new uniform on that day.
Also of interest is Senior Parents Night on August 29 at 6pm in the Windsor cafeteria. We will be having a spaghetti dinner for the seniors and their parents, and Ms. Almand will be conducting a highly informative PowerPoint presentation loaded with information you and your child will need to know as you start applying for college. She has also set up Monday, Oct. 16, for Katie Minich of the Georgia Student Financial Commission to come show senior parents and students how to fill out the FAFSA, the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
(REMEMBER: The FAFSA has to be filled out in order to get the HOPE scholarship.)
As you can see, a lot has gone on, and still going on, as we work together to make Windsor Academy the place where children are treated special, receive a great education, and everyone enjoys being a part of a very special group known as THE WINDSOR KNIGHT FAMILY.
For those of you who are returning parents, let me say thank you again for your support, and for those of you still deciding on a school, I hope you will give Windsor a tour. Call 478-781-1621, or stop by for a tour and/or an information packet
John W. Welch, Ed. S.
Proud Headmaster of Windsor Academy